meganbaxter

meganbaxter

I'm a grad student, an avid reader, a huge nerd, fervent roleplayer, wife, cat lover, tea snob, and obsessive keeper of lists.
The Time Hoppers - Robert Silverberg Inconsequential and light - I enjoyed it, but will barely remember it in a few weeks.

In a world plagued by overpopulation, you need a high career rating to have one room to yourself. And empty space? Reserved for the highest levels of government. Except for Quellen, Secretariat of Crime, who has committed one himself - a secret hideaway in Africa.

For others, the only way to escape the crushing numbers of other people, unemployment, and despair, is offered by Lanoy. A one-way trip in time, to a kinder, gentler, less crowded yesterday - the period between 1979 and 2051. You can live out your life in quiet and peace. (The appearance of large numbers of time-refugees in these time periods is part of the historical records.)

It was a quick read, and definitely not deep - people have only the most surface of motivations. Compared to The Stochastic Man, this one just doesn't hold up.

And as for gender? People may rag on Robert A. Heinlein for writing hypersexual women who share many characteristics, but at least they're allowed to be competent when they're not (and while!) enjoying sex. In Silverberg, or the two books I've read so far, women have one of two roles: frumpy, angry housewife or beautiful but crazy cult member. (Here it's the Cult of Social Regurgitation, and you don't want to know more than that.)

Both are writing in the sixties - Heinlein may have issues, but give me his women any day.