meganbaxter

meganbaxter

I'm a grad student, an avid reader, a huge nerd, fervent roleplayer, wife, cat lover, tea snob, and obsessive keeper of lists.
The Burglar Who Painted Like Mondrian - Lawrence Block I love the story of The Burglar Who Painted Like Mondrian, but the denouement leaves much to be desired. Most of the Burglar-Who books end with a drawing-room-style reveal, but this is the only one I can think of where the reader knows practically no one in the drawing room. As it is explained, it's all perfectly logical, but the fact that we haven't met six or seven of the major players until the end makes the ending fairly weak. In fact, this was at least the second or third time I've read this one, and I still can barely remember whodunnit.

It's a pity, because the action of The Burglar Who Painted Like Mondrian is interesting, the cast of characters we do know (none of whom, except Bernie are really important in the last act) appealing, the rushing around avoiding dead bodies and Mondrians all very fun.

It's just too bad it falls apart at the end. Lawrence Block can and has done better than this. It feels rushed and haphazard.