meganbaxter

meganbaxter

I'm a grad student, an avid reader, a huge nerd, fervent roleplayer, wife, cat lover, tea snob, and obsessive keeper of lists.
Alex Cross's Trial - James Patterson, Richard DiLallo James Patterson is one of those authors I read every once in a while, because he's popular, and I like to read a few popular books at any given time, and his books are incredibly easy reads (which I also need sometimes), and he hasn't pissed me off yet.

That may seem like damning with faint praise. It is. I'll read an author for quite a long time as long as s/he doesn't actively piss me off.

Of course, almost all his books these days are co-written, which I interpret as other people writing according to a James Patterson scorecard, and then rubber-stamped.

So, this book was written by Richard Dilallo.

And he does a good job fitting the James Patterson mold - the chapters are no longer than two pages and a half of fairly large type. There are no difficult words. There is no mystery.

(I would say James Patterson and his shop of journeymen write crime novels or thrillers rather than mysteries. There is rarely a mystery, and when there is, there's no way the reader could figure it out. The answer is "that psycho did it" and who the psycho is isn't revealed till the end of the book. Normally, we haven't even met the person until that moment. Or, in this book, there's never any question about who did it.)

So given all the parts where this is a James Patterson book, it's a pretty good James Patterson book. His writing "style" adapts well to a thriller about a lawyer sent to investigate lynchings in the American South in 1906, and the book certainly doesn't pull any punches. Nor are any the details about the lynchings historically inaccurate, as horrific as they might be.

If you like James Patterson, and have the stomach for the subject matter, this is a fast read. It is less of an easy read, however, than most of his work.